uninsured motorist coverage

I am David Dekle, a personal injury attorney practicing in Augusta and all across Georgia.  When I sit down with potential clients for the first time, the weight of the world is on their shoulders, and they need help.  “How am I going pay these bills, recover my lost pay, and get my life back on track?”  They are quite distressed that the at-fault party’s insurance company shows no sympathy for their situation.  I can help them through the claims process and litigation if that is necessary.  What I cannot do is control the amount of liability coverage the negligent party carried at the time of the accident.  That is why you need Uninsured Motorist (UM) coverage.

The statutory minimum for liability coverage in Georgia is $25,000.00 per person and $50,000.00 per accident, and you would be surprised at the number of motorists who carry only the minimum.  Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage provides you with the coverage you need if you are seriously injured in an automobile accident.  The amount is a question you must consider in consultation with your insurance agent.  I recommend that you always select “add on” coverage because it is stacked onto the negligent driver’s liability coverage regardless of the amount he or she carries.  If you don’t select “add on” coverage, your available UM coverage, in the event of an accident, will be reduced by the amount of available liability coverage.

Uninsured Motorist coverage is typically not an expensive coverage.  You should protect yourself and your family in the event of a serious or catastrophic event caused by someone who is uninsured or underinsured.  With UM coverage, you control the amount of coverage that is available.  But you have to have it when the accident occurs, or it’s too late to help you.

Be aware that your own insurance company will show no more sympathy for your plight than the liability carrier.  It will still be a battle, but at least the coverage will be available to pursue by your attorney.  In the event of an accident, be sure to put your insurance company on notice even if you were not at fault.  You have a duty under your policy to give notice, and you don’t want the UM carrier to claim prejudice and deny coverage on that basis.

If you or a family member has suffered injury and needs to speak with an expert in personal injury legal matters, please feel free to call at 706-922-7460.


© Copyright 2022 David Dekle Law All Rights Reserved.

Call for a Free Consultation